Secretary of State Thurston to Present Arkansas Diamond Award to Disabled American Veterans Simpson/Turner Chapter 27
Posted on: 09/23/2021 4:01 pm
CONTACT: Chris Powell | email@example.com | (501) 683-0057
(LITTLE ROCK, ARK.) – Arkansas Secretary of State John Thurston has nominated the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) Simpson/Turner Chapter 27 for the Arkansas Diamond Award. Secretary Thurston will present the award on Sunday, September 26th at 2:15 p.m. at the 2021 DAV Fishing Tournament at the Sport Fishing Weigh-In Pavilion at Lake Dardanelle State Park.
Members of Chapter 27 saw the problems many disabled veterans encounter when seeking care and benefits earned in noble service to our nation. But rather than stand by, they chose to become the solution for hundreds of Arkansas veterans. Over the past six years, Chapter 27 members have given their time and personal resources to provide an amazing range of support services to disabled veterans.
Specifically, the chapter:
- Created a highly effective Veteran Service Officer program, helping over 400 veterans a year with VA claims
- Provides transportation to VA facilities for roughly 55 vets each month
- Provides over $20,000 in grants each year to needy and homeless vets
- Arranges temporary lodging for homeless vets
- Offers a scholarship program for children or widows/widowers of disabled veterans
- Provides free Life Alert monitors and service for senior disabled veterans
- Provides free 30-day cell phone service for unemployed disabled veterans seeking employment
- Educate and liaise with local law enforcement agencies to help them recognize and constructively resolve encounters with veterans needing care and support
Secretary Thurston said, "The Chapter members doing this work are all volunteers, and receive no financial help from the government. Because of their outstanding dedication and accomplishment in service to our esteemed veterans, I submit that members of DAV Chapter 27 are most deserving recipients of the Arkansas Diamond Award."
The Arkansas Diamond Award is the highest honor awarded by the Secretary of State.