Share |

Face Your Vote — General Information 

A new Arkansas law, Act 595 of 2013, requires all voters to present photo identification when voting.

The law lists several acceptable forms of photo I.D. and explains how to obtain a Voter I.D. card if you do not have any photo identification.

Click here to download the printable brochure
Click here to download the flyer

What is acceptable I.D.?

  • Driver’s license
  • Photo identification card
  • Concealed handgun carry license
  • U.S. passport
  • State or federal government employee identification
  • U.S. military identification
  • I.D. card from an accredited post-secondary institution in Arkansas
  • Public assistance I.D. card

Who can get a photo I.D.?

  • Registered voters who have no other form of photo I.D.
  • Those who will be 18 by the next election and have submitted a voter registration application, but have no form of photo I.D.

How do I get a free photo I.D.?

Go to your county clerk’s office. You will be required to complete an application and sign an oath, swearing you do not have any kind of photo identification. You must also provide certain information to the clerk:
  • A photo or non-photo identity document including full legal name and date of birth
  • Documentation of name and residential address
  • Evidence of registration or proof of application to register to vote
  • Completed Application and Oath for Voter Identification Card form

What will the clerk accept as proof of identity?

  • Original or certified copy of a birth certificate
  • Copy of marriage license application
  • Notarized copy of state or federal tax return filed for the previous calendar year
  • Paycheck or pay stub including the imprinted name of the applicant’s employer
  • Original Medicare or Medicaid statement to the applicant
  • Original annual Social Security statement for the current or preceding calendar year
  • Certified school record or transcript for the current or preceding calendar year
  • Naturalization document
  • DD-214 for issued by the federal government to members of the military

What is documentation of name and residential address?

  • Utility or cable bill issued within the last 60 days
  • Bank statement issued within the last 60 days
  • Notarized copy of state or federal tax return filed for the previous calendar year
  • Current, valid residential rental contract or receipt for rental payment within last 60 days
  • Homeowners’ insurance policy or bill for current or preceding calendar year
  • Mortgage, payment coupon, deed or property tax bill for current or preceding calendar year
  • Personal property tax bill for current or preceding calendar year
  • Current automobile registration receipt
  • W-2 issued by employer for the preceding calendar year.

What if I am applying to register to vote?

The county clerk will process the voter registration application in the usual manner. The Voter I.D. card will not be prepared until the clerk has validated the registration information and processed the application. The Voter I.D. card will be mailed to the mailing address on the application.

Can I use my Voter I.D. card for general identification purposes?

No. The Voter I.D. card will include the statement: This card is valid for the sole purpose of voter identification in an election and for no other purpose.

How long is the Voter I.D. valid?

The Voter I.D. card is valid as long as you live in the same county where it was issued, and you remain registered to vote.

What if I move to another county?

If you move to a different county, you must either return the Voter I.D. card to the county clerk who issued the card, or turn it in to the county clerk of your new residence.

What if I lose my card?

If you lose your Voter I.D. card, you may apply for a new one. You must swear to an affidavit that your card was lost or misplaced.  You must swear that you did not give or provide the Voter I.D. card to someone else. You must complete a new application through the process explained above.

You should know:

The county clerk will take a color photograph of you when you apply for a Voter I.D. card. You must not wear sunglasses, a hat, headgear or any other item that disguises or conceals your face.

The county clerk may grant a waiver for headgear or a head covering for medical or religious purposes, but the face must not be disguised or concealed.

Are there exceptions?

A person who lives in a long-term or residential care facility licensed by the state does not have to show photo I.D. They must have documentation from the facility administrator, stating they are a resident of the facility.

But what if…?

If a person cannot provide identification at the polls, the person may cast a provisional ballot.

The provisional ballot will be counted if the voter returns to the county clerk or county election commission by noon the Monday after the election with either proof of identity or an affidavit swearing the voter has no photo I.D. because of indigence or a religious objection to being photographed.

Connect With Us