The Secretary of State does not discriminate because of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability in employment, access, or in the provision of services. Qualified applicants with disabilities may request needed accommodations to participate in the application process by contacting Human Resources at State Capitol, Room 03, Little Rock, AR 72201 or by calling (501) 683-5487. No part of this announcement constitutes an employment contract.
Current OpeningsAssociate Legal Counsel
The Office of the Secretary of State is looking for an Associate Counsel who assists the General Counsel in advising the Secretary, Deputy Secretaries, and Division Directors of the Office concerning legal rights, responsibilities and obligations by performing the following duties (and others as assigned).
- Study constitutions, statutes, and ordinances affecting the Secretary of State's Office
- Study decisions of judicial and quasi-judicial bodies affecting the Secretary of State's Office
- Interprets laws, rulings, and regulations affecting the Office
- Represents Secretary of State in litigation and other legal proceedings. Drafts correspondence, motions, briefs, answers and other pleadings as needed.
- Reviews documents including but not limited to publications, forms, correspondence, agreements, calendars, handbooks and manuals prepared by other Divisions as needed
- Drafts proposed legislation as needed
- Tracks proposed legislation through committees and General Assembly as needed
- Attends legislative committee meetings as needed.
Education: Juris Doctorate and related experience and/or training.
Certificates, licenses, registrations: Licensed to practice law in the State of Arkansas; qualified elector in the state of Arkansas; current drivers' license.
Qualified applicant will be able to read and analyze documents, respond to inquiries or complaints, write proposed legislation, present information one-on-one or to a group, define problems and draw valid conclusions based on data.
All applicants must complete a Secretary of State Application form. The form may be mailed to: Secretary of State Human Resources, State Capitol, Room 3, Little Rock, AR 72201. Applications may also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
**Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Arkansas Secretary of State
500 Woodlane St., Room 03
Little Rock, AR 72201
Other State Job Opportunities